T first made this dish a few months ago. He had a version of it at a Thai restaurant and was so taken with the flavour that he wanted to try making it at home. It’s super quick and easy to make, made even more so if you substitute chicken for the pork. It’s become one of our staple recipes.
Now, if you’re not familiar with fish sauce, be not afraid. Just don’t stick your nose right in the top of the bottle, or else you might not go through with using it. T thinks it smells like dirty feet (I think it smells like something else — but I’m not going to say what on this blog.) Au de toilet, no; tasty flavour, yes. (So don’t leave it out!)
There are so many flavours – limey, gingery, spicy, peanutty– that you’ll hardly know what to do, except keep eating! The savoy cabbage (which I think of as a cross between a Napa cabbage and a plain ol’ green cabbage) has a mild flavour and tender leave that makes a perfect base for the Nam Sod.
- 1.5 lb lean ground pork OR 2 12.5oz cans cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons water (for pork only)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 3-4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-2 small Serrano peppers, finely diced (leave seeds in for more heat)
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely diced
- 3/4-1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaf, chopped (if available)
- 2 tablespoons dried coriander
- 1 savoy cabbage, chopped
Stir in lime juice, fish sauce, chili powder and diced chili pepper. If using pork, let cool for about 5 minutes after adding these first ingredients. Otherwise, stir in onion, shallot, peanuts, ginger, mint, and coriander.
I tried to find a literal, or even approximate translation of “nam sod”, but couldn’t find anything. If you want an English translation just call it “spicy pork (or chicken) salad with peanuts, lime, and ginger.”
กินดี! (That’s “bon appétit” in Thai, heh heh.)
(A special “Thank You” to “Blom” for the birthday fabric and napkins to make my food pictures purty!)